Carb-Counted DRAGON BITES Recipe:
Check back each month for a new family-friendly, mostly healthy (sometimes treat-y!)
simple recipe for families LIVING WELL with type 1 diabetes.
Share this Recipe
Berry Mallow Drizzle Sticks
4 ingredients. Loads of yum. A sweet way to say “I love you!”
This strawberry + marshmallow + chocolate drizzle treat is a simple but fun family Valentine’s Day project. Easy enough for kids to join in, tasty enough for all to enjoy, and a kind day-brightener to those around you who may need some brightness in their day these days.
Gluten-free? Option given
Dairy-free? Option given
Nut-free? Option given
Active Time: 20 min
Melt: 5 mins
Set: 10 mins
Ready in: 35 mins
Total Yield: 6 skewers
Carb Content: 34g of carbs for each skewer (see detailed carb content below)
- 12 (420g) fresh medium-large strawberries1
- 18 (130g) marshmallows, regular size2
- 42 (55g) pink Candy Melts® candy3
Tip from the Trenches: Candy Melts are “made on equipment that also processes wheat, peanuts and tree nuts.”
For a gluten-free, nut-safe alternative, you could swap them out for Hershey's Chipits White Chocolate Chips (which are both gluten-free and nut-free) with a few drops of red food colouring to make them pink. Adjust carb count accordingly.
For a dairy-free alternative (which is also gluten- and nut-free) sub in Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips for both the candy melts/white chocolate chips, as well as for the next ingredient (chocolate chips). You’ll be skipping the pink hue, but will still have the red strawberries to match the season. Again, adjust carb count accordingly.
- 1/3 cup (60g) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips4
You will also need 6 wooden skewers, each a minimum of 20cm (8”) long.
- 24g carbs
- 108g carbs; 0g fat for Kraft Jet-Puffed Regular Marshmallows
- 37g carbs; 16.5g fat for Candy Melts® candy
- 36g carbs; 18g fat for Hershey’s Chipits Milk Chocolate Chips
- Wash, dry, and trim the tops of the strawberries. Set aside.
- In a small glass bowl, heat the Candy Melts® (or white chocolate Chipits) at 50% power, in 30-second increments, stirring after each interval, until smooth and completely melted. Be careful not to overheat. (If using white chocolate Chipits, add red food colouring at this point and stir until desired colour is achieved.)
- Dip one end of a marshmallow into the melted pink candy, turning it to catch the drips as you lift it back out.
- Poke a skewer through this marshmallow, starting at the undipped end. Next add a strawberry, then a plain marshmallow, then another strawberry.
- Dip one end of another marshmallow into the melted pink candy, again twisting as you remove it to catch the drips. Add this marshmallow to the skewer and set aside on a parchment-lined baking sheet (or plate, or cutting board – any portable hard surface will do).
- Repeat the above steps 3-5 to assemble 6 skewers. If necessary, return the pink candy to the microwave to soften. Be careful not to overheat.
- In a small glass measuring cup with a spout, heat the chocolate chips as you did the pink candy: at 50% power, in 30-second increments, stirring after each interval, until smooth and completely melted. Be careful not to overheat.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the assembled skewers (as they rest on parchment-lined baking sheet) by slightly tipping the measuring cup so that a thin stream of chocolate pours out of the spout.
- To set the chocolate and cool the strawberries, place the completed Drizzle Sticks in the fridge for 10 minutes or more before enjoying.
Total yield: 6 strawberry marshmallow Drizzle Sticks, with a total of 205g of Carbs and 34.5g of fat.
Nutrient Content for each Drizzle Stick: 34g carbs and 5.8g of fat.
Should I Give Insulin to Cover the Fat???Reducing Post-Meal Spikes Caused by Fat & Protein
Please don’t rely exclusively on my carb counting! Nutritional information is given for general information only, and will vary depending on the amount, type and brand of ingredients you choose - Please verify your carb and fat content when you make your own version of this recipe.
Share this Recipe