Carb-Counted DRAGON BITES Recipe:
Check back each month for a new family-friendly, mostly healthy (sometimes treat-y!)
simple recipe for families LIVING WELL with type 1 diabetes.
Share this Recipe
Pepperoni Pizza Crisps
Easy, Low Carb, High Flavour Snack.
Even though we don’t consistently eat low carb in our family, there are times (like after the BG roller coaster over the holidays!) that we want to simplify… cut down on the carbs, cut down their impact on blood sugar. At those times, these gluten-free, nut-free, carb-counted Pepperoni Pizza Chips are perfect! Use your family’s favourite pizza toppings for a quick, easy, YUMMY snack.
Gluten-free? Yes (if you use gluten-free meats, as suggested below)
Active Time: 15 mins
Bake: 11-15 mins
Ready in: 30 mins
Total Yield: 18 Pepperoni Pizza Crisps
Carb Content:~0.5g carbs for each pepperoni pizza crisp
Fat Content: just over 2g of fat for each pepperoni pizza crisp
- 175g Pepperoni Slices
[I used Grimm’s Pizza Pepperoni: 6g of carbs total, 36g of fat total, for 18 slices of pepperoni]
- ~60g Shredded Cheese
[I used Cracker Barrel Double Cheddar: 0 carbs, 20g of fat total for 18 pepperoni crisps)
- Suggested Toppings:
Canned Crushed Pineapple
Mini Sweet Peppers, sliced
Black Olives, sliced
Green Onions, sliced
or any of your family’s favourite pizza toppings!
Note: Instead of pepperoni you could try a less-spicy meat, such as:
- 175g Ukrainian Sausage Slices
[I used Freybe Kolbassa Sausage, sliced thin: 2g of carbs total, 23g fat total, for 38 slices of kolbassa sausage], or
- 175g Deli Ham Slices – cut into pizza wedges
[I used PC Free From Honey Ham: 18g of carbs total, 9g of fat total, for 9 pieces, which makes 36 ham wedges]
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200 °C).
- Place pepperoni (or ham, or Ukrainian sausage) slices on a wire rack, on a cookie sheet (to catch any drips). Using a wire rack is important for crispiness, as it allows air flow over and under the pepperoni.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the slices start to crisp up. (They will crisp up more in the second round in the oven, as well as during cooling.)
- Remove slices from rack and pat between 2 pieces of paper towel to remove extra grease.
- Return slices to rack. Top each with a small pile of shredded cheese, then sprinkle desired toppings on top.
- Return to 400°F oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese melts and starts to bubble.
- Remove pizza crisps from rack, pat between 2 pieces of paper towel to remove extra grease, and ENJOY!
CARB / FAT CONTENT:
Total yield: 18 pepperoni pizza crisps, with a total of 6-10g of carbs and 43g of fat (depending on toppings chosen):
each with ~0.5g carbs and just over 2g of fat.
Or, if using Ukrainian Sausage:
Total yield: 38 Kolbassa Sausage pizza crisps, with a total of 2-3g of carbs and 30g of fat (depending on toppings chosen):
each with ~0g carbs and just under 1g of fat.
Or, if using Deli Ham:
Total yield: 36 Honey Ham pizza crisp wedges, with a total of 18g of carbs and 16g of fat (depending on toppings chosen):
each with ~0.5g carbs and just under 0.5g of fat.
*Nutritional information is given for general information only, and will vary depending on the amount, type and brand of ingredients you choose – Please verify your carb and fat content when you make this recipe.
Should I Give Insulin to Cover the Fat???Reducing Post-Meal Spikes Caused by Fat & Protein
More on Carb Factoring:What is a carb factor and how do I use it to count carbs?
Share this Recipe